Common Questions

Q: My Certificate has been lost or stolen how can I apply for a replacement ?

A: To apply for a replacement card for any lost or stolen High Risk Work certifcate such as Dogger, Rigger, Scaffolder, Cranes operators, Forklift operators, Elevating Work Platform and Hoist operator’s , Work Safely at Heights, Confined Space certificates obtained through More Skills Pacific

Contact: More Skills Pacific on: Phone 321-0266.

We will issue a replacement for you for a small fee.

Q: Do I have to complete a logbook at work after completing the course?

A: The completion of the logbook in accordance with a training plan is a legal requirement and therefore compulsory.

However our Workshop courses (Option A) include the completion of the logbook in accordance with the training plan. This means that with successful completion of our Workshop course you are able to obtain the licence without further training.

For persons working in the relevant industry at the time of the course we also offer short courses which require the completion of the logbook in accordance with the training plan at the workplace after attending the initial training with us and before the assessment can be undertaken.

Q: I have completed a logbook at my workplace but haven’t undertaken any training with a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) can I just book an assessment?

A: The experience you have gained and documented in your logbook is valuable and will assist you with the completion of the course. However the legislation requires you to complete the logbook in accordance with a training plan “AFTER” attending the formal training with a Register Training Organisation (RTO) like More Skills.

This means that you will be required to complete a logbook after attending the formal training even though you may have already completed a logbook.

We suggest enrolling in our Workshop courses which will allow you to obtain the licence without delay and in the fasted possible way.

Q: I’ve been working in the industry for many years; can I go straight to my advanced licence?

A: The lower class licences are pre-requisite for the higher class licences. This means you are legally required to start your training and career by obtaining the lowest class licence first and the higher class licences thereafter before you can obtain the highest class licence.

Q: Why do you offer workshops in conjunction with your formal training?

A: Firstly, the workshops allow a simple, straightforward but comprehensive way of gaining and proving competence required for the relevant High Risk Work Licences. Clause 6.4 of the National Standard for Licensing Persons Performing High Risk Work states that “Practical training can be undertaken in the workplace as part of the productive work of the trainee, or in a training facility that includes a simulated work environment, or using a combination of both these training environments.” Trainees quite often opt to undertake their training in the workplace for High Risk Work Licences such as dogging, forklift, EWP and basic scaffolding as this work is relatively basic in nature and also for crane operation where they have access to the necessary crane. Trainees for other High Risk Work licences find it difficult to complete the full range of work required for their particular licences. For example, an Intermediate Riggers may work for a crane company and find it difficult to get experience for erection of tilt slabs, and vice versa. Intermediate Scaffolders rarely have access to very much tube and coupler scaffolds other than drop scaffolds which is really advanced work.

NO MATTER WHAT THE CIRCUMSTANCES, our workshops fill the gaps for all of our trainees in a time efficient manner.

Secondly, many EMPLOYERS prefer to have their workers attend our workshops as they know that we fulfil all of the legislative requirements on their behalf and keep records to that effect.

Q: Will I get some hands-on practice during the course or will it just be theory?

A: We get you working with the relevant equipment such as cranes or scaffold as soon as we can. Adults learn better by doing, not by talking about it.

Not surprisingly, student feedback tells us that they like the hands-on learning best. It also enables us to start your log book during your time with us.

Q: What is a Training Plan and why is it needed?

A: A Training Plan is required of employers who employ trainees to carry out high risk work under supervision. This is an employer requirement — Log books are a trainee requirement.

The Training Plan is also a better (and more complete) way of proving the required experience. A letter from an employer saying that you have worked for them as a trainee rigger, scaffolder etc is unlikely to cover all the bureaucratic requirements set down by WHSQ. In other words Training Plans and the Training Record (Log Book) help make your certificate certain in these uncertain times. we want your certificate to be bulletproof!!!

Q: Is it possible to get employment or on-the-job experience from my training?

A: We cannot and do not make any promises regarding gaining employment as a result of completing our training courses. However, we do believe that your employment opportunities will be improved as a result of undertaking training to work in a prescribed occupation. In our new training environment, employers will increasingly recognise the initiative shown by persons willing to work their way up the employment ladder.

Q: Will I have to arrange for the cranes or other equipment necessary to do the course or the assessment?

A: We have all the equipment required for the assessments already on site including a lattice jib slewing mobile crane, 3 slewing cranes, elevating work platforms, 3 different types of system scaffolding and tube, coupler and Layher scaffold. Unless you specifically request to be assessed on site our prices are all inclusive.

Latest News

Jul 16 2012
Jul 16 2012
Mar 14 2012
Mar 14 2012
More News